Monday, August 1, 2011

Budva, Montenegro

After a week into this cruise we were moored in Budva.
We did a morning leg from Otranto to Brindisi. We went through Brindisi mainly because we wanted to cross the Adriatic at the narrowest point North to Albania.
To make the crossing as easy as possible for Noga and Yasmin, we left Brindisi at 4am and passed the 100nm in about 17 hours, half of it sailing in light winds with the jenniker and half on engine.
Throughout the crossing we saw many times schools of fish jumping for their lives. Unfortunately, trying to get close to them, got us nothing on our hook. We haven't caught a single fish so far. On the other hand, three dolphins joined us for a nice ride.
We entered the port of Bar a little before 9pm.
Noga and Yasmin got a new crew certificate for doing over 100 miles in one leg!
Formalities were a little strange. The harbor master charged 230 euros for a sailing permit (viniette) of one month. Unfortunately you either pay for a week or a month or 6 months. We're planning to stay for 2 weeks so we had to take the month. Anyway, after I agreed to pay this outrageous sum of money, he told me that I have two options: I should either wait for the morning and then Go to e bank to pay the fee or just give him the money and he'll go to the bank the following day and make other payment for me. I did choose the 2nd option but I must say I don't know if he ever went to the bank... Anyway, he did give me the Viniette and a signed crew list so hopefully it's OK. When it was all done he asked me if I happen to have a bottle of whisky on board...

The following morning we motored in no wind the 15 miles to Budva. We entered the tricky entrance in heavy rain and thunderstorms.

Budva is on one hand a charming old town, very well preserved and maintained but it became the center for young tourists, mostly Serbs and Russians who come here to lie on the beach, consume lots of alcohol and hang out in noisy bars with lousy music.
Sleeping in the marina was a challenge. Even with all windows closed and with the AC on.
There is one disco that blows up the whole bay! I remember hearing it loudly when we anchored across the bay off Nikolas island, and were amazed by the high volume that was coming from shore.

On Sunday morning we decided to leave Budva and move to Kotor.

More soon...Eyal

No comments: